Sunday, April 19, 2009

Need Advice

Maia wore a brand new pair of name brand leather mary janes over to our neighbors house today. These are originally 38 dollar shoes...I bought them on sale. Today was the very first time the shoes have been worn. The neighbors puppy ate them :) I am not mad and I realize these things happen. The neighbor sent a card over with 20 bucks in it to cover the cost of the shoes. I have not talked to her personally. She is trying desperately to be my friend and I know she is probably very upset and worried that I will be angry. That's just her personality. She and her husband both work and can certainly afford the 20 dollars. Andy and I are very conflicted over whether we should use the money to replace the shoes or if we should give the money back. If you were our neighbor would you feel better if we accepted the money or if we gave it back to you with an "it's all right these things happen" attitude? We want to handle this in the right way so as to avoid any awkwardness and/or hurt feelings.

Lori

2 comments:

sue said...

hey lori ,
i would graciously accept the 20 and send a note to let her know how much you appreciate her kindness and friendship.. she probably feels just as horrified that that had happened.. you may insult them if you return the money.. this way they offered and feel that the problem is solved.. that was awesome actually, i can think of so many times that something got ruined by my neighbors and no one offered to repay or an apology.. so take it and get that girl some shoes! lol!
have a great week :)

secret sister said...

I, too, would probably accept it; send her a card of thanks explaining that you know things like that happen and you appreciate their act of thoughtfulness. If you GIVE the money back, they may think, in the back of their minds "oh great, our neighbor is planning on sueing us"..lol...I think I would send them a "thank you" type note and tell them you appreciate them thinking of you....love ya...Mom