Monday, October 12, 2009

Updates

Andy: Work seems to be going well. He is definitely busy with it that's for sure:) We were told that there would be no raises this year at all so Andy has decided he may need to look for a 2nd job. We are fine day to day but we really feel burdened to get our debt paid off. We would like to snowball it Dave Ramsey style:) Plus we would like to buy a house and of course we would need a down payment for that when the time comes. I have a feeling we will be renting for a few more years. Andy may have found an online tutoring job that he can do from home!! That would be perfect for us. Also he has put his resume back out there again.

Me: My circle of acquaintances is growing. I have met a lady from Dover that moved here the exact same time that we did. I hope that we can build a friendship and support system for each other. We will see. I became friends with a lady named MaryBeth through Isaac's ball games. The situation is kinda weird. She is the fiance of one of our teammates dad's. The dad and mom share custody of the kids. Half the week they live with their mom which is right around the corner from us and the rest of the week they are with their dad and MaryBeth who live in Worthington. We had Rick, MaryBeth and the kids over for Sunday dinner a couple of weeks ago! It was fun and relaxed and so super easy. They are very laid back and we had a great time. In fact they were here for 4 hours but it seriously felt like they were only here an hour before they had to leave! Our church has crop nights but so far I have been too chicken to make myself go:( There is another one coming up in several weeks...maybe i'll muster up the courage to attend. There are lots of church activities that we should be taking advantage of but aren't yet. I still miss the familiarity of FBC and knowing everyone. That part of the move is still very hard for me. We have also been attending a lot of scout functions so we are meeting our kids friends parents...which is always a good thing. I am just taking things day by day. For the most part things are good but I still really miss home! I will say that this house is starting to feel more homey to me and that is a good thing. All last year it felt like I was on an extended vacation in someone elses house:)

Isaac: Is doing great in school. He hasn't gotten in trouble even one time. He is on the news team. I had a conference with his teacher 2 weeks ago and she had lots of positive things to say. She is kinda hard nosed though and snooty. She told the class she was from the Cleveland area and when I asked her about that she informed me she was from Hudson. That right there told me all I needed to know:) She did complain that Isaac drank too much water and asked too many questions. What kind of complaints are those? He asks too many questions? I thought her job was to answer those questions. Apparently he asks for clarification on assignments and this irritates her? I don't know...I totally stuck up for Isaac! She said he only asks once and then he has it and I think that's reasonable. It's not like he's up at her desk every five minutes. He has joined the cub scouts and is now an official Webelo!! So if anybody is looking for popcorn we would be happy to sell you a tin!! In just 2 weeks we have been at Lowes selling popcorn, gone to the pumpkin patch and then had an all day Saturday event!! This is one busy troop. On Saturday we dropped Isaac off at 4. The boys went on a hike and then they cooked a spaghetti dinner. By themselves!! Then we went back out and did the hike at night...which was totally awesome. The parents were stationed at various posts along the way for safety's sake but the boy's did it themselves. The first time around they went 2 at a time and had flashlights to guide their way. The 2nd time they went one at a time with no flashlight. It was pitch black!! They did fantastic and even Maia did it. We didn't get home until after 11pm. I think I am about the youngest mom in the troop. The other mother's are also yellers. Which has made Isaac appreciate me a whole bunch more than he did before:) He does not like yellers. He is still totally into the military and guns and Lego's.

Maia: Her teacher adores her!! When I walked into conferences the first thing she said was that Maia was perfect. I told her I wasn't quite so sure she was perfect and she assured me that yes indeed she was. Apparently Maia reminds her teacher of herself at that age. She said it's like looking in a mirror at herself when she was a 2nd grader. Maia got the highest marks she could possibly get and she was invited to participate in an accelerated class on Friday afternoons. Her principal was quick to point out that that doesn't mean she's gifted though. Her principal is so weird. The funniest part is that Andy and I always thought Maia should've been a blond! It's not that we don't think she's super smart. She just has a tendency to be a bit.....dingy sometimes:) Anyways she has lots of friends and seems to be navigating her way well. She loves Brownie's and will be starting piano lessons on Tuesday!! She is very excited about piano. She has been very diligent in her practicing for the last 2 months. She loves loves loves her American Girl doll and her littlest pet shop and she adores reading and music:) She is also the best helper I have ever seen!!

Asher: This kid loves his school!! Loves it!! His teachers love him too. I was a bit worried how he would transition but according to his teachers he is doing fantastic. He asks and answers questions and is excited about everything they do. Right now he only goes one day a week but we are on a waiting list for a 2nd day. It's a 3&1/2 hour program. He gets to eat lunch there and everything. Each Friday he has circle time, Bible time, language arts, music, art, play time and science!! When we add the 2nd day they will add in a foreign language. It's a very well rounded program. On the days he is not at school I am schooling him at home. I'm doing a mix of preschool and kindergarten work both. We have been having lots of fun learning together !! He still loves firefighters and lego's and puzzles and space and astronauts and construction workers and cones. Yep I said cones...orange cones. They make him happier than happy!! The only thing that can make him happier than orange cones would be fire extinguishers. He is still as sweet as can be. The other day he told me that he didn't want to see any scoopy houses...took me a few minutes to realize he meant spooky!! He is still having some trouble with his speech articulation so I am looking into speech therapy.

That's us in a nutshell right now!!
Love, Lori

4 comments:

secret sister said...

It was so nice to hear how well everyone is doing. It sounds like everyone is very busy and enjoying the things they are doing. Isn't that weird that Isaac's teacher would complain that he "asks too many questions"? Maybe she just doesn't like taking the time to answer them for him...some teacher, I must say...LOL

That was cute, Maia's teacher saying Maia reminded her of herself and saying that Maia is perfect...the teacher apparently thought she was perfect, too, while growing up. That is a nice compliment, though.

And Asher loving those cones!!! How cute...he sure isn't hard to please, is he? I can picture him working on a construction crew, or owning his own business; OR, being a firefighter. It will be very interesting to see what the Lord has in store for him. I'm so happy he loves school...how sweet. He might just sail right through all his grades as he gets older.

Have you done much scrapping lately? I keep checking your scrap blog, but, haven't seen any updates. I know you are busy..I was just wondering.

That will be super nice if Andy's second job would enable him to stay at home and on the computer. You and the kids would get to see him and yet he would be bringing in a little more money. You will have to keep us updated. It was good to hear how the family is doing, thanks for sharing. We love you all..Mom

secret sister said...

wow, girl.. how do you have any time to miss "home".. you make me tired just reading all that you are into.. i was losing it with CC 2times a week ..!! hahaha.. the boys really want to do scouts but shaun didn't want me to have to take them to everything.. and right now he can't switch shifts.. bummer.
i totally pray that you make friends with those 2 ladies.. i was wrong . i don't know mr. jones wife.. i did know mr. jones.. i don't believe he was married when gavin was in school..
i thought the same thing about isaac's teacher.. whats up with that.. hello??? tell him we are proud of him.
maia.. i always thought she reminded me of me.. perfect!! hahahahahaha... that teacher is funny..:)
asher.. i love that lil'guy.. i am glad he adjusting so well to preschool. sometimes that is difficult to transition to.. does the county school system have a program down there for speech.. when noah was in preK he was set up with the county speech program and they did it right at the prek.. then when he went to kinder. they did it at the school for him.. it was nice and they were awesome..
glad to hear that you all are doing fabulous.. miss you guys..
loveya, sue

maila said...

mom: I haven't scrapped much lately. Now that it's getting cooler though I keep thinking about it more and more. Keep checking my blog...I will post as soon as I do something new :) Maybe knowing someone is waiting will help give me motivation to actually get my stuff out again!! Andy has been on my case about this for months now :(

Sue: The Jones' have 3 kids and I think the oldest is 11. I'm pretty sure they've been married for awhile. I will say that the wife is very quiet and could be lost in the background very quickly.

My kids teachers crack me up. Isaac's teacher had given him a check mark with a plus beside it. Which is the highest mark you can get. This is an overall "grade" for behavior and participation. Then she whited out the plus sign giving him just a check mark:) He has never once been in any kind of trouble. LOL Then she gave him all PR's which means progressing towards standards and is not at all a bad mark to have. But she told me they are the equivalent of a "c" grade. Isaac has gotten an "A" average on everything he's done. He had one test where he got a "C" but other than that...all "A's". Plus he has never been late or missed a homework assignment. Maybe she's just mad that he drinks water and asks questions!!

Maia's teacher seems to be pretty great so far. Both of their teacher's are very young and unmarried with no children. In fact I am almost positive that this is each teacher's first class!!I think there may be something going on between Maia's teacher and the male kindergarten teacher. Maia says that he keeps stealing the bells of their door and hiding them around the school in very hard to get places!! Sounds like classic flirting to me :)

Love, Lori

Anonymous said...

Nice post on the grocery bags for the needy. Neat idea too.

luv,
Trac