Friday, June 6, 2008

Part 2: We're Back!

Okay...now a few more details! One can only write so much at a time...

Brendan was a hoot. A couple times, at least, he'd decide to serenade a clerk...in the Seamist office or at the Tamarack Travel Plaza in W.VA...with his knowledge of how to sing the ABC song. It was like he was a singing Valentine delivering a message from a secret admirer! It made the day for the lady at the Seamist. Included in our package was daily/nightly admission to the waterparks (2) and an amusement park (about county fair size only nicer). We only did each of those once. Both boys rode the smaller rides together when we could see that Jack would be strapped in good. Brendan was really upset we didn't ride the big ferris wheel but we realized too late that the parking meter was about to run out of time. Both boys did very well considering their age and the fact that they were strapped into car seats for the long ride in the van. They also did very good at sleeping in a new place. I think we wore them out and by bedtime they were good and tired!

Even though we didn't leave our sliding door open (which screen or not- we may not have due to the heat)...we had great air conditioning and it was a nice relief! Sometimes I'd wake up in the middle of the night or just be awake after everyone was asleep and I'd look out at the beach and almost every time I think I saw people out there...a few. Almost regardless of the time...12:30am, 3:30am. Early in the AM people would be out walking on the beach. One morning I got up early and Brendan did too so we went out there about 6:30am maybe. I left him in his jammies and let him play in the sand.

Another time it was just Brendan and I out on the beach until Joel and Jack came out and joined us. I could see a couple guys near the waters edge starring out and pointing. I overheard one of them talking to someone else about something in the water and then I talked to the guy. He said as he and his brother were out there and one or both were about to jump into a wave a ray jumped out of the water and then he saw a shark. As we were standing there watching the water he saw the rays and pointed them out to me and sure enough...I saw something in the wave as it was rolling our way that appeared to be one or more big brown rays. We (our family) never swam in the ocean at all...as much as I like the ocean, I'm afraid of daring sharks and stinging jellyfish and who knows what lies out there. We went in up to our knees maybe one day. We also aren't lay out in the sun kind of people so walking on the beach and enjoying that kind of stuff was our thing for now.

I got to touch a ray or two at the Ripleys Aquarium. You'll have to go to the website to read about their highlights but the big deal there is you actually get to go under a shark and other sealife infested tank. We walked or rode the moving belt under the bellies of sharks.

Thats it for now...its 9:30pm and Joel wants to get the kids to bed...tell ya more later!

No comments: