We've been using space heaters in the bedrooms at night for the past couple winters or so. Anyways...we run them at night or during naps for the boys. Sometimes just on the fan mode but usually the heat and when they are on, they run constantly because if for no other reason, they are a little bit noisy and when they shut off and turn on depending on the room temp...its been disturbing to one or both boys so we keep them running constantly when the boys are sleeping (if we have them on). One of our two "newest" Holmes heaters (small...had it for about 1 yr or so?) started "shorting"? out??? I'm guessing, cuz recently when I'd move it while it was on- even just move it a little bit it would sort of cut off.
Well, about 5:50am today I was checking on Jack and decided to turn the heat off but leave the fan on more for the noise than anything I guess and I turned the fan to face the doorway. A second or so later as I was leaving the room I turned back to look at it and it was sparking or on fire or something! Scared me. The sparks or (I don't know if they were flames) but whatever type of "fire" it was was coming from the back of the heater and it wasn't large but I knew it might start a fire on the carpet. I turned it off ,unplugged it and brought it out to the other room and the wires were totally severed or burned through on one side as well as exposed now and the cord itself had some blackening from the "fire".
Anyways...becareful w/ space heaters. We've talked about and may be buying the Eden Pure 1000sqft heater. Its not a typical space heater and our whole house is not much more than 1100 sq ft period. Some people at church use to heat their upstairs...they put in the hallway or ? and though they are expensive (the 1000sf is almost $400)....Joel can get them at his 2nd job for about $175! I told mom a little while back that we may be purchasing one and she was interested. I do believe Joel can buy several of them (not to resell) but at his employee discount for family members. Sometimes there are whole page ads put out in the Parade Magazine of the Sunday paper that explains the benefits of them. If any of you want an Eden Pure (there is a smaller room size heater also) just let us know when you have the money and Joel can order them. I think they can pick them up at work within a day or so.
TTFN!
Tracy
1 comment:
Wow that sounds really scary!! Thank God you saw it spark or there is no telling what might've happened. Glad you all are okay:)
Lori
Post a Comment