Friday, February 13, 2009

Update on Nick

I have been "chatting" back and forth with Steph through facebook. Here is an excerpt of her latest note to me.

Looks like we'll probably be here a couple weeks. His back looks like it's gonna need grafting (fun fun), and he's not eating as much as they want him to (which is a tremendous amount of protein...about five times what he usually does), so they're talking about putting a feeding tube down tomorrow. It takes tons of protein and calories to get burned skin to heal. His burns are...upper 1/3 of his back, shoulders, neck, right hand, and entire right thigh. Thanks for your prayers. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. About the dressings, I'll do it...I just hate to put him thru it...it's soooo painful!!!!!

He was moved out of critical care and into the regular children's department due to a rash of incoming patients. While this sounds good it also really worries the family. They are afraid Nick will catch the other patients "cooties" and the last thing he needs right now is to get sick on top of the burns. For anyone that has facebook-Steph has posted a few small pictures and you can see them on my page. Today was Nick's 11th birthday and they celebrated with a small cake. Steph said the nurses were fantastic, they decorated his room, and she didn't know what she would do without them. If I'm not mistaken Steph actually teaches at this hospital so hopefully that's working in her favor:)

Thanks for keeping this family in your prayers!!

In other news...Maia's first grade Sunday School class is having a 1st grade Valentine's party tomorrow night at the church from 5-8:30. It is very very hard to leave your kids with people you don't know. I have e-mailed back and forth with the director and I feel very good about the church's teacher/volunteer policies but we still don't "know" these people. At home if we didn't know somebody then someone we knew did know them!! The class is large and I have no doubt that Maia will be safe and well cared for...it's just still hard.

Here is a link to the church if anyone is interested

http://www.dublinbaptist.com/index.cfm

We have been going here for several months and we really enjoy it. You can listen to a download of our sermons as well. There are a lot of opportunities here and everyone has been very nice to us. We have been attending the contemporary services in the ARC. The good thing that has hopefully come out of this though is that I have been e-mailing with the director and hopefully that will be the push we need to start attending more than just the Sunday morning service. They also have wednesday nights, small groups, women's studies, prayer breakfasts, Sunday School, Mom's Day Out and Sunday nights. Just to name a few!! Seriously. Anyways just pray for us:)

Lori

3 comments:

secret sister said...

That must be very hard on Steph's family..how painful this burn must be; I could not imagine! I know what a small burn on the finger or hand feels like when I am cooking; I could not imagine on the upper part of the body. We sure will be praying.

I will also pray that Maia has a safe, fun-filled Valentine party and everything goes great. I know what you mean, leaving your children with strangers, especially now-a-days, even in the name of the Lord (church). It used to be that church was a "safe-haven", now, it is different, but, we will pray that everything goes smoothly and she has a wonderful time. Thank you for sending the link. I am going to go check it out. Please let us know how her party turned out; and we will be praying!

love ya all....Mom

Anonymous said...

Lori,

What caused Nick's burns? I've never happened on that part of any post. Will still be praying for him and the family!

luv,
Tracy

maila said...

Hey Trac,

I am not sure of specific details. I do know that they somehow involve a very large pot of hot homemade veggie soup. She was making the soup as we chatting on FB and then the next afternoon I got word that Nick was in critical care.

Thanks for the prayers!!
Lori